Friday, January 7, 2011

Getting Ready for Spring

Sunday during church as I was listening intently to the talk, I was also scratching down the list of things I want to plant in the garden this year.  We try to just grow things that we enjoy eating and so you will not find brussel sprouts or eggplant in the garden at Hoot Owl Hollow.  Monday,  I printed out a 2011 calendar off of a word processor and marked the "Average Last Freeze" day on the calendar (March 16th in our area) and marked each week before it as "1 week before, 2 weeks before etc..." and then marked the weeks after as "1 week after, 2 weeks after etc...". Then using the publication that I linked I found the things I wanted to grow and planned when I want to plant them. 

Here's my plan for spring:  I'm open and appreciate feedback.

Jan 29th: Onions, Spinach
February 12th: Beets, Carrots, Potatoes
March 26th: Green Beans, Squash (yellow and butternut)
April 2nd: Tomatoes, Corn, Watermelon
April 23rd: Okra
May 7th: pepper transplants

I like to buy my tomatoes and transplants in Denton from Dennis Farm store. He seems to have the best plants and most options. I ordered my seeds yesteday from Willhite Seed Company out of Peaster Texas.

4 comments:

  1. How much of your garden to you can?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any corn. You all don't eat corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corn is April 2nd. We can a lot of salsa, beets, okra, and freeze corn. The onions and butternut squash have a long shelf life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Henderson advised that I should plant corn a lot earlier for better results. He has given me a lot of good garden advice in the past. I will move my corn planting up to March 19th (just after average last freeze).

    ReplyDelete